With spring right around the corner here in Maryland, you may be starting to think about your home’s landscaping. Planning out landscaping can be an enjoyable experience, with many options available and varieties of plants to enjoy. But which plants will do the best in your yard? How can you know the difference?
By working with an experienced Maryland landscape designer you can have a yard you love while ensuring it will last. And one of the most effective ways to achieve this harmony is through the use of native plants.
Here’s more on how native plants lead to a lasting landscape.
Native Plants are Originally From the Area
Thanks to the tireless efforts of scientists, botanists, historians, and others we know what plants were originally from the Maryland area. We know which plants are native to Maryland. So what does this mean?
Well in nature, things simply work out for a reason: it’s why we don’t see polar bears in Maryland and why the blue crab doesn’t do well in the arctic circle. Years of evolution and survival of the fittest lead to the very best possible plants which could grow in Maryland.
These are what we call native plants.
The Benefits of Planting with Native Plants
The benefits of planting with natives are many. Here are some of those benefits to using native plants in your Maryland landscape design:
- Decreased Maintenance. Plants which can survive and thrive in the wild here in Maryland will require little to no maintenance from you. This means less watering, less fertilizing, less trimming, etc. Obviously, if you do complete these tasks it will help your landscaping thrive even more—but it’s not required. So you can go on vacation for a weekend and not sweat it!
- Lower Cost. You can save a lot of money in planting native plants. This is because they are widely available in the area because they are easy for growers to grow. You also save money because there’s a greater chance native plants will survive our unique Maryland weather. And if they can survive and thrive longer, that means less replacement and more money in your pocket.
- Accent Surrounding Environment. A palm tree among pines will stick out like a sore thumb. A native Maryland landscaping design will blend in with the surrounding environment in a way which accents your surrounding area. This leads to a more pleasing end product which will also increase your home’s value.
- Attracts Wildlife. Your native landscapes will be plants the local wildlife population enjoys. So whether you’re into butterflies or yellow finches, there’s a native plant which attracts them into your yard. And this is because these animals already live here and are already accustomed to the native plants.
- Resistant to Local Pests. Along the same lines as attracting beneficial garden wildlife, native plants are also very good and deterring local pest populations. A huge nuisance here in Maryland are the deer—and native plants evolved to repel deer. Again, the survival of the fittest meant plants which thrived were plants which deer didn’t eat into extinction.
Working with a Maryland Landscaping Contractor
So if you’re in the market for a native Maryland landscaping design, it’s best to seek out a local landscaping contractor familiar with these plants. A local company will know the native plants of the area, how best to care for them, and the typical soil conditions of our area. This will lead to an overall better quality landscape design at a fair and honest price.
If you are ready to start working with a Maryland landscape designer to come up with your perfect yard, give North American Landscaping and Design a call today!